Skip to page body Home About Us Government Departments Doing Business Services I Want To...
Courthouse HistoryMailing Address:

Office of County Clerk
Fort Bend County
301 Jackson Street, Suite 101
Richmond, TX 77469-3108
Email: cclerk@fortbendcountytx.gov
Phone Numbers
 
Automated System
(281) 341-8685
Recording Fax
(281) 341-8669
Probate/Civil Fax
(281) 341-4520
Misdemeanor/Juvenile Fax
(281) 341-8681
Administration Fax
(281) 341-8697
Switchboard
(281) 341-8652 

Courthouse Complex

The two story Jane Long Annex was built in 1979 and is located one block west of the courthouse. This building is now occupied by the county's Information Technology department.

In 1983, an old furniture building one block east of the courthouse was purchased for $295,000.00. The renovation and enlargement was completed in 1984 at an additional cost of $250,000.00 and named Fort Bend County Clerk's Office. In late 2011, the building will be renovated again and serve as the county's health clinic for employees, dependents and retirees and the county's mail center.

In April, 1989, the seven story William B. Travis Building, designed by Chris DiStefano & Associates, was completed at a cost of $5.85 million. This building serves as the offices for the county judge, commissioners court, county attorney, treasurer, auditor and other departments. In the summer of 2011, the building will undergo major renovation, upon completion of the Justice Center. The county clerk's property recording and vital statistics will vacate the County Clerk's building and move to the first floor while other departments will move to this site from other locations.

In April, 2011 all judicial functions will move to the Justice Center on Eugene Heiman Circle in Richmond. The offices occupying this facility includes all county courts at law, all district courts, many special courts and associate courts, the district clerk, the district attorney, the law library, the jury assembly room, and the county clerk's courts division. The 273,835 square foot state-of-the-art facility was designed by Pierce Goodwin Alexander Linville at a cost of over $74 million.

As of 2010 census, the county's population was 585,000 and still growing. This brief history of the Fort Bend County Courthouses, judicial complex as well as the continuing progress being made to keep up with the growth will extend beyond these pages.
Morton Street Courthouses

The first courthouse was a house at the end of Morton Street purchased for $600.00 from William Luske, a Richmond developer, in June 1842. In 1850, a second courthouse, a two story brick building was built by John Herndon for $6000.00. Over 20 years passed before another building, purchased from C.H. Kendall, housed the third courthouse. The fourth courthouse was built in 1883 by B.F. Trester.
Jackson Street Courthouse

The present courthouse was built in 1908 at a cost of $75,000.00 with the land purchased for $6750.00. The courthouse was dedicated on January 1909. An addition was added in 1935, and again in 1957 which completed the present courthouse building. In 1980, the 1909 Courthouse was accepted for listing in the National Register of Historic Places, the first structure in Fort Bend County to receive such an honor. Between 1980 and 1981, the entire Courthouse was renovated to its original grandeur at a cost of $3 million. Since that time, windows have been replaced using a state highway grant. In 2009, the county celebrated the courthouse's 100th birthday.

 

 

 

 

Last updated: 10/31/2013 2:40:04 PM