Basic Peace Officer Certification
The Gus George Law Enforcement Academy, (GGLEA) is licensed as a Police Academy by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE). The GGLEA prepares cadets to begin a career in Law Enforcement by teaching the TCOLE Basic Peace Officer Certification (BPOC) Course. Cadets receive 904 hours of instruction and upon successful completion are eligible to take the TCOLE Peace Officer Licensing Exam.
The next Full Time Basic Peace Officer Course (Class #36) is scheduled to begin on January 8, 2018 and graduation will be held June 7, 2018. Classes are scheduled from 8AM to 5PM, Monday through Friday, with some nighttime training requirements. GGLEA will be accepting applications August 1, 2017 through December 1, 2017.
The next Part Time Basic Peace Officer Course (Class #37) is scheduled to begin on February 5, 2018 and graduation will be held on October 16, 2018. Classes are scheduled from 7AM to 12pm on Monday/Wednesday/Friday and 8AM to 12PM on Tuesday/Thursday. Due to the extent of some of the training you will receive (firearms, driving, and SFST) there will be some 8 hours days and some nighttime training requirements.
We will start taking applications for the 2018 Basic Peace Officer Courses beginning August 1, 2017 through January 11, 2018. FBCSO employees ONLY may qualify through January 30, 2018.
Below are the minimum requirements and the application process to attend the Basic Peace Officer Course at GGLEA, Fort Bend County Sheriff’s Office.
Step 1: MEET MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS (must be met before taking the Nelson-Denny test)
- A U.S. Citizen
- A High School graduate OR a GED with 12 hours of college credits OR
- 24 months active duty military service with an Honorable Discharge
- Be at least 21 years of age by the time of TCOLE exam
- Have NEVER been nor currently on court-ordered community supervision or probation for any criminal offense above the grade of a Class B misdemeanor
- Not currently under indictment for any criminal offense
- Have NEVER been convicted of an offense above a Class B misdemeanor or convicted of a Class B misdemeanor within the last 10 years
- Have NEVER been convicted of any Family Violence Offense
- Not prohibited by state or federal law from possessing firearms or ammunition
- Have NEVER been discharged from the military service under less than honorable conditions.
- Possess a valid Texas Driver’s License
- May not have used marihuana, or any of its synthetic forms, within the past year.
- May not have used any of the following specific illegal drugs or substances within the past two (2) years unless taken with a prescription and/ or administered by a licensed physician:
- Opiates, natural or synthetic
- Barbiturates or their derivatives
- Amphetamines or their derivatives
- Steroids/ Anabolic Steroids/ Human Growth Hormone
- May not have used any of the following specific illegal drugs or substances within the past five (5) years unless taken with a prescription and/ or administered by a licensed physician:
- Any hallucinogens
- Acid/ LSD
Step 2: SCHEDULE ENTRANCE QUALIFICATIONS and COMPLETE PERSONAL HISTORY STATEMENT (APPLICATION)
- Read Step 1 : Meet the Minimum Requirements
- Go online to: https://gglea.fortbendcountytx.gov/CVSFListdrop.aspx
- Navigate to Basic Peace Officer Course
- Click on 2017 Academy Admission Requirements
- Read instructions and qualifications
- If you meet qualifications, continue.
- Navigate to BPOC Entrance Qualifications
- Register to take the BPOC Entrance Nelson Denny Test (Passing minimum of 80)
- Register for the qualification run of 1.5 miles (Passing is 16 minutes or less)
- Create an account
- Under Courses, Navigate to BPOC Entrance Nelson Denny
- Find a date that is convenient for you
- Click on link BPOC Entrance Nelson Denny
- Click Personal History Statement
- Print and complete the application
The application may be turned after the Nelson Denny and 1.5 mile run have been completed!
- Navigate to BPOC Entrance Qualification Run
- Register on the same date as you did for the BPOC Entrance Nelson Denny
- Mail or deliver your application and copies of your Social Security Card, Birth Certificate, Drivers License, H.S. Diploma/GED, official College Transcripts, and DD-214 (Military only) to:
Gus George Law Enforcement Academy
1521 Eugene Heimann Ci,
Richmond TX 77469
ATTN: Staff Sergeant
Step 3: CRIMINAL HISTORY and DECLARATION of MEDICAL CONDITION
- Once you have passed your entrance qualifications you will receive a form for obtaining your fingerprints thru FAST and a L-2 Declaration of Medical Condition and Medical Screening form from GGLEA staff. (Cannot be completed prior to September 1, 2017.)
- GGLEA will receive the FAST results directly.
- Medical and drug screen shall be returned to GGLEA in a sealed envelope.
Step 4: POLYGRAPH
- GGLEA having received ALL documentation and your passing the entrance qualifications you will be notified by email to schedule a polygraph.
Step 5: INTERVIEW
- The Staff of GGLEA after receiving the results of polygraph will contact you via phone for an interview and given the schedule of events to follow.
Applicants will be chosen on a first come, first served basis, once they have completed the above requirements.
ESTIMATED COSTS TO ATTEND THE GUS GEORGE LAW ENFORCEMENT ACADEMY BASIC PEACE OFFICER CERTIFICATION COURSE
||Due the first day of class.
||Includes 3 shirts, 3 pants, 1 belt, 1 name tag, and 1 tie
(this is an estimate based on last year’s prices)
Due 2nd to 3rd week of class.
||Includes: 3 shorts and 3 t-shirts
(estimate from last year)
Due 2nd to 3rd week of class.
||Please Note: : $200 was added to the Tuition Fee, which enabled us to eliminate the extra $400 Ammunition fee.
|GGLEA Duty Bag
Cadets will need to provide black footwear (that will take a shine) to wear with their uniform and running shoes for the physical training.
Cadets may purchase additional uniforms and P.T. clothing. Required are 3 uniforms and 3 P.T. sets.
All necessary supplies for the classroom, including notebooks, paper, pens, etc. are included in the cost of tuition.
To Register for Qualification Tests