Starting a New Business

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Thinking About Opening a New Business?

Basic Steps to Starting a Business

  • File an Assumed Name or Doing Business As (DBA) Certificate with the County Clerk in the county(s) in which the business is located and/or will conduct business.
  • Corporations and Incorporation documents are filed with the Secretary of State in Austin at (512) 463-5555. Upon filing in Austin, the D.B.A. is then filed in the county(s).
  • To obtain a State Sales Tax ID #, contact the State Comptroller at 7011 Harwin, Suite 186, Houston, Texas 77036 at (713) 783-1665.
  • To order a Business Tax Kit and other publications, call (800) 829-3676.
  • A Federal Tax ID # is available through the IRS at (800) 829-1040.
  • For an Employer's ID #, contact the Texas Employment Commission at (512) 463-2731.
  • Worker's Compensation Information--contact Texas Worker's Compensation & Texas Dept. of Insurance at (512) 322-3490.
  • For Safety Regulations, contact OSHA at (512) 482-5576.
  • Patents or Copyrights 
    • Commissioner of Patents and Trademarks
      Washington, DC 20231
      (703) 308-4357 
    • Copy-Right Office, LM455
      Library of Congress
      Washington, DC 20559
      (202) 707-3000 
  • Call Houston Business Solutions Center in Houston at (832) 393-0954 or visit the website at
  • If the business is operated in a home, review the deed restrictions and contact the homeowners association.
  • If the Business is located in a city or its jurisdiction, contact the city for possible permit requirements.
  • Contact the County Health Department for a business involved in food preparation at (281) 342-6414.

For more information on starting a new business in Texas, please visit where you'll find a link to download the Small Business Handbook.