Home Safety Tips
Check the following items below before leaving for a vacation.
Are all exterior or entrance doors solid core?
Is the doorjamb tightly fastened?
Are locks that can be opened from inside at least 40 inches from glass?
Are strike plates securely fastened to the doorjamb with at least 3” screws?
Are locking bars (or “Charlie Bars”) used to secure sliding glass doors?
Have locks been re-keyed since you moved in?
Have double hung windows been pinned?
Have screws been installed in the tracks of horizontal sliding glass windows?
- Did you stop all deliveries and arrange for a trusted neighbor or family member to pick up your mail, newspaper and packages?
- Did you ask a trusted neighbor to watch your residence while you are away?
- Did you leave your vacation address and telephone number with a trusted neighbor so they can contact you in case of an emergency?
- Did you test your smoke and burglar alarms?
- Did you arrange for someone to mow your lawn, rake leaves and maintain the yard to give the home a lived in look?
- Did you plug in timers to turn lights and a radio or television on and off at appropriate times?
- Did you turn the bell or ringer on your telephone down low?
- If you have call forwarding, did you have your calls forwarded to a trusted friend or relative?
- Did you leave shades and blinds in a normal position?
- Did you close and lock garage doors and windows?
- Did you ask the local police to place your home on their vacation checklist?
(From American Crime Prevention Institute)
Tips for improving security measures at a residence
- Are shrubs and bushes within four feet of any sidewalks, drive-ways, doors or gates maintained at a height of not more than two feet?
- Are shrubs and bushes within four feet and eight feet of any sidewalks, driveways, doors or gates maintained at a height of not more than four feet?
- Are ground plants under windows maintained at a height that is below the window sill?
- Are trees trimmed so that the lower branches are more than six feet off the ground?
- Is the front amd rear door well lit?
- Are exterior lights controlled by photocell or by a timer switch?
- Is public or residence lightning sufficient to illuminate all sides of the dwelling?
- Is the residence number easily visible on both the house and the curb?
- Are there any hiding places near the doors, windows, garage or parking area?
- Have your participated in Operation Identification by engraving items of value?
- Is the garage door locked at all times?
- Does the garage door close tightly?
- Does the overhead door have a track pad lock?
- Do you keep the overhead door closed and locked when not in use?
- Do you remove keys from your motor vehicle(s) when garage is locked?
- Are you careful not to leave garage door openers in vehicles parked outside?
- Is the door leading from the garage into the home either solid wood or metal core?
- Are all exterior or entrance doors solid core?
- Is the door jamb tightly fastened?
- If the hinge pins are on the outside, are they nonremovable?
- Do exterior doors have wide angle (180?) door viewers?
- Are locks that can be opened from inside at least 40 inches from glass?
- Are strike plates securely fastened to the door jamb with at least 3” screws?
- Have screws been installed in the tracks of sliding glass doors?
- Are locking bars (or “Charlie Bars”) used to secure sliding glass doors?
- Are deadbolt locks with at least a 1” throw installed on all exterior or entrance doors?
- Have locks been re-keyed since you moved in?
- Have double hung windows been pinned?
- Have screws been installed in the tracks of horizontal sliding glass windows?
- Have crank handles been removed from casement windows?
- Can windows left open for ventilation be secured?
- Do basement windows have security bars, grills or auxiliary locks?
- Are window air conditioners anchored and protected by steel grillwork to prevent removal from the outside?
Burglary Alarm System
- Property is equipped with a monitored electronic burglar alarm?
- All exterior openings are contacted?
- The system includes an interior and exterior siren?
Alarm System Options
- Install glass break sensor.
- Security grade window film (4ml). Conduct research on this subject.
- Install video camera.