First, call the police or sheriff’s office and make a full report. In most cases, a law enforcement officer will meet with you in person to obtain important details and will inform you of all your rights as a crime victim. The officer will also provide you with the phone numbers of the law enforcement agency’s crime victim liaison and of my victim assistance coordinator.

After the office completes his or her investigation of the crime, he or she will present the facts to my office, and then to a judge in order to obtain an arrest warrant. If you know where the suspect is, tell the police. Do not try to arrest or detain the person yourself.

Content Group