I am honored and humbled to recognize the major commitment two people make on their special day. I take great joy in officiating your wedding in the Historic Courthouse, so the happy couple can enjoy the start of a great journey. I sign wedding documents and officiate wedding ceremonies by appointment in the Historic Courthouse when the schedule permits. Such services do not apply when Fort Bend County is closed due to a Holiday or inclement weather. Unfortunately, I cannot accommodate walk-ins, and I recommend arriving 15 minutes before a scheduled appointment to ensure street parking is available. The Historic Courthouse is located at 401 Jackson St., Richmond, Texas 77469.
Please make an appointment through my office by calling (281) 341-8634 or by emailing Shaneka.Smith@FortBendCountyTx.Gov
All couples must present the following items on their wedding day:
- valid identification - see Acceptable Forms of ID [PDF]
- a Texas marriage license
You may obtain a marriage licenses through the Fort Bend County Clerk, located at 301 Jackson St, Richmond, Texas 77469. Questions regarding marriage licenses should be directed to the Fort Bend County Clerk’s Office at (281) 341-8685. You can find more information here:
After couples have obtained their license, they may then schedule an appointment for their Wedding Ceremony through the Office of the County Judge. Appointments are only scheduled for couples who provide their marriage license and valid identification. To schedule an appointment, call (281) 371-8634. You may also email your request to Shaneka.Smith@FortBendCountyTx.Gov.
- Courthouse weddings during office hours $150.00
- Courthouse weddings outside office hours $300.00
- Non-Courthouse weddings in Fort Bend County $300.00
- Non-Courthouse weddings outside Fort Bend County $400.00
- Courthouse weddings on County Holidays in Fort Bend County $300.00
- Courthouse weddings on County Holidays outside Fort Bend County $400.00
- Rehearsals $300.00
Courthouse weddings are performed in the Historic Courthouse, 401 Jackson St., Richmond, Texas 77469. All weddings must be prepaid in full at least two days prior to the scheduled date. Payments must be made in cash.
For after hours events at the Courthouse, the County charges $25.00 per hour for the use of HVAC/lighting and basic custodial services with a minimum of $50.00. The user is responsible for cleaning after an event as custodial staff will not be on site. If additional cleaning services or repair are needed, the user will be charged for this. Basic fees are to be paid prior to the use of the room/s. The user of the room will also need to contact Courthouse Security to reserve an officer. It is a $160 flat rate, but if the event exceeds 4 hours, each hour will cost an additional $40. This fee will go directly to the Sheriff’s Office.
- Photography and video cameras are allowed only in the area where the signing is occurring.
- Official witnesses are not required. However, friends and family are welcome.
- We ask for your understanding that the wedding is occurring in a busy office atmosphere.
- Once you purchase your marriage license, a waiting period of 72 hours are required before the ceremony can be held, unless either of you are on active duty in the military.
- You must marry within 90 days of the date that you purchased your marriage license.
- In the state of Texas, there is a 30 day waiting period after a divorce is final. We can issue the license on the 31st day from the final divorce date. If the applicants are remarrying each other, then it does not apply.
- You can purchase your license in any county in the state of Texas and get married in any county in the state of Texas.