Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Permits and Licensing

Online Permits and Licensing

As of May 13, 2015, the Fort Bend County Engineering Department is accepting online permit applications through Submission of construction drawings (NOT REQUIRED FOR RESIDENTIAL PERMIT APPLICATIONS) for initial County approval must still be submitted in paper format.

With this online system, you are now able to:

  • Apply for Permits
  • Pay Permit Application Fees with Visa or MasterCard
  • Attach County Approved Drawings and Documents
  • Track Application Progress up to Permit Issuance
  • View and Print Copies of Letter Documents Received from Fort Bend County
  • Request Inspections, Temporary Power/Permanent Power and Check Status of Requests
  • View and Print Completed Inspection Reports
  • Receive Real-Time E-mail Notifications When an Inspection is Completed

If you are having trouble using the customer portal, please read the MyGovernmentOnline Instructions [PDF] or call the 24/7 Technical Support Line at 1-866-957-3764, Option 1.

The software will allow you to begin applying for your permits online rather than traveling to the Fort Bend County Engineering Department’s permit office. Please note that any documents required with an application, such as Floor Plans, Site Plans, Surveys, etc., must be uploaded in PDF format.

When requesting an inspection online, you may submit your request 48 hours in advance of the desired inspection time. Our staff will enter information in the field to ensure you receive inspection results via e-mail or through the customer portal.


Permit Applications, Forms, Regulations and Documents

Please select the appropriate permit type below for detailed information regarding application(s), form(s), and regulations applicable to the permit.

Development Permit

Do I need to apply for a permit?

A Development Permit must be obtained to ensure the methods used will minimize potential flood damage. Request floodplain information.

Once you submit the Development Permit, you may need  to request a release of electric service or update the physical address through MyGovermentOnline.  

Working In Right of Ways & Drainage Ditches

Anyone proposing to lay, construct, maintain and/or repair cable, conduit and/or pole lines in, under, across, or along roads, streets, highways and/or drainage ditches in Fort Bend County requires a permit.

Construction of Driveways & Culverts on County Easements & Right of Ways

Fort Bend County has requirements for obtaining a permit for the construction of driveways and culverts on county easements, right of ways and drainage ditches.

Fort Bend Westpark Tollway/FM 1093 Access Policy and Procedures

Fort Bend County has requirements for obtaining a permit for the construction of driveways on FM 1093. The applicant will submit the permit request through TxDOT. TxDOT will then forward the permit to Fort Bend County for review and concurrence. Driveway spacing and right turn lane requirements will be reviewed based on these policy and procedures. A scoping meeting with Fort Bend County Engineering is recommended before site planning begins.

Sign Ordinance and Application

Fort Bend County has adopted the Regulations of Fort Bend County for the Placement of Signs Visible from the Main-Traveled Way of a Toll Road within Fort Bend County, Texas to regulate signs along and visible from toll roads. All development subject to these rules shall obtain approval of all proposed signs prior to issuance of a Development Permit.

Outdoor Lighting Regulations

Fort Bend County has adopted Engineering Requirements to comply with the Fort Bend County Outdoor Lighting Ordinance. All development shall obtain approval of the Outdoor Lighting Plan prior to issuance of a Development Permit.

Other Permitting Authorities

Compliance with all applicable Regulations and permit requirements of other Local, State, and Federal agencies is required before issuance of a Development Permit.

Do you have any questions about Permits or need more information? Contact Us!

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player QuickTime Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer