In the unincorporated areas of Fort Bend County, a permit is required when proposed construction or other development is characterized by any of the following:
- Any work to be performed within a floodplain or flood-prone area (Special Flood Hazard Area) as defined by the latest Flood Insurance Rate Maps. To confirm if your property is in a floodplain, please visit the FEMA Flood Map Service Center at https://msc.fema.gov.
- Construction of any fully enclosed structure or concrete slab (including existing building modification) which is equal to or larger than 100 square feet, including but not limited to a barn, garage, workshop, or storage building.
- Work involves the development of improved or unimproved real estate including but not limited to buildings or other structures, mining, dredging, filling, grading, paving, excavation or drilling operations, or storage of equipment and materials.
- Fill placement or excavation greater than 500 cubic yards per acre of land, and/or there is a change in any elevation by six (6) inches or more.
- Installation of a driveway connection to a County maintained roadway.
- Installation of a turn lane or median opening on a County maintained roadway.
- Installation or repair of cable, conduit, pipe and/or pole lines within the right-of-way of County maintained roadways and drainage ditches.
Please select the appropriate link in the menu (under the “Permits” section) for more information on each permit type.