Please review updated Permit Application Fee schedule effective October 1, 2020.
Development Permits are required for construction including work such as re-grading, drainage modifications, on-site sewage facilities, water wells, signing, changes in land use, new building construction, building modifications and any work within the 100-yr floodplain.
Residential Development Permit
A Residential Development Permit is required for the construction of any new structure on residential property, or addition to an existing structure, that meets or exceeds 100 square feet in size. The permit can be applied for online at www.mygovernmentonline.org.
Commercial Development Permit
A Commercial Development Permit is required for all commercial development. Before applying for the permit, the County Engineer must first review and approve a set of civil construction drawings. The following links provide guidance on the commercial approval and permitting procedure.
- Civil Site Plan Submittal Procedure [PDF]
- Commercial Permitting Procedure [PDF]
- Lease Build-Out Information [PDF]
A Sign Permit is required for any sign that is visible from a County Toll Road. For more information go to the Fort Bend County Toll Road Authority (FBCTRA) website (click here). You can contact FBCTRA via email (click here) or call (832) 735-7385.
Release of Power
Once your Development Permit is submitted, you may need to request release of electric service or update the physical address for your permit through the MyGovernmentOnline customer portal.
- Development Permit: $60.00
- Development Permit in Floodplain: $110.00
- Development Permit (Unplatted- Includes Interior Build Outs): $210.00
- Interior Lease Build-outs: $60 (new fee)
- Change of Address: $30.00
- Commercial Driveways: $500 each and includes one inspection
- Residential Driveways on Curb & Gutter: $500 each and includes one inspection
- Turn-lanes or Median Openings: $1,000 each
- New Roadway Construction: $1,000 per 500 linear feet (new fee)
- Additional inspections needed for driveways, turn-lanes or roadways (after verification of first punch list): $150 each (new fee)
- Development Permit Fees do not include other Local, State, and Federal agency permit and review fees as applicable.
*Effective January 1st, 2020 the Fort Bend County Engineering Department will require all applicants submitting a Development Permit application for new structures to provide an address verification letter than can be obtained from the CenterPoint Mapping Department. The letter must contain the full address, including street number, city and zip code. CenterPoint mapping can be reached at MapsandRecords@CenterPointEnergy.com .