Everyone enjoys fireworks, especially in the festive Fourth of July season. But consumers need to be careful about where they buy their fireworks. The National Council on Fireworks Safety (NCFS) recommends that you only buy consumer fireworks from a licensed store, tent or stand. Never buy fireworks from an individual's house or from someone on the street. Such devices are likely illegal explosives or professional (1.3G) fireworks that can seriously injure you. All Fireworks stands selling fireworks in Fort Bend County are required to have a current permit from the Fire Marshal's office.
Safety and responsibility are important with fireworks. If a fire starts from fireworks, it can impact the community and residences of Fort Bend County. If the fire is found to be started intentionally, and damages the property of another, you may be subject to the charge of Arson with a possible penalty of 2-20 years in prison and a fine not to exceed $10,000.00. You may also be held civilly liable for damages.
Although fireworks and celebrations go together, especially during the holiday season, they can be dangerous when used improperly; causing serious burn and eye injuries.
Recommended Safety Tips
- Obey all local laws regarding the use of fireworks.
- Know your fireworks; read the cautionary labels and performance descriptions before igniting.
- A responsible adult SHOULD supervise all firework activities. NEVER give fireworks to children.
- Alcohol and fireworks do not mix. Save your alcohol for after the show.
- Wear safety glasses when shooting fireworks.
- Light one firework at a time and then quickly move away.
- Use fireworks OUTDOORS in a clear area; away from buildings and vehicles.
- NEVER relight a “dud” firework. Wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water.
- ALWAYS have a bucket of water and charged water hose nearby.
- NEVER carry fireworks in your POCKET or shoot them into METAL or GLASS containers.
- DO NOT experiment with homemade fireworks.
- Dispose of spent fireworks by wetting them down and place in a metal trash can away from any building or combustible materials until the next day.
Permit Applications and Links
- Fireworks Stand Application [PDF]
- A copy of the Fireworks Retail Permit must be submitted along with the Fireworks Stand paperwork to the Fort Bend County Fire Marshal's Office.
- Fireworks Stand Renewal Application [PDF]
- Mass Gatherings Permit Application [PDF]
- Display Inspection Request Form [PDF]
- Request for Display Permit [PDF]
- State Fire Marshal's Notice [PDF]