- Birth records are confidential for 75 years from the date of the event. All births recorded in Fort Bend County from the late 1800s to the present are available.
- Death records are confidential for 25 years from the date of the event. All deaths recorded in Fort Bend County from 1903 to the present are available.
- Birth certificates are issued in two forms – full copies or abstract copies. Full copies will always be issued if the County Clerk's Office is the holder of the record.
- For persons born in Texas between 1926 to the present, but not born in Fort Bend County, birth certificates can be obtained in abstract form only.
- Abstract copies may be not suitable for passport purposes.
- Contact the nearest Passport office for more information.
- A certified copy of a birth or death certificate can be obtained in person or by mail request.
- Application of Copy of Birth/Death Certificate (English)[PDF] for details.
- Application for Copy of Birth/Death Certificate (Spanish)[PDF] for details.
Checklist to Apply for Birth or Death Certificate
- To apply for a certified copy of a birth or death certificate, click on the link below and follow the instructions therein.
- A birth or death certificate may be issued to a qualified applicant including:
- Immediate family member (parent, child, brother, sister, spouse, or grandparent)
- Legal guardian
- Managing conservator
- Legal representative
- Agent or other person acting under contract for the registrant
- Current government issued picture identification is required to obtain a certified copy. Acceptable forms of valid identification include:
- Driver's license
- State ID
- Military ID
- The applicant must provide the following information and show proper identification:
$23.00 PER CERTIFIED COPY
$21.00 FOR FIRST COPY, $4.00 ADDITIONAL
|Full name on birth record||Full name on death record|
|Date and place of birth||Date and place of death|
|Father's full name||Father's full name|
|Mother's maiden name||Mother's maiden name|
|Name, address, and telephone number of requestor||Name, address, and telephone number of requestor|
|Relationship to person on birth record||Relationship to person on death record|
Certificate by Mail
To obtain a birth or death certificate by mail, complete the application form and sworn, notarized statement (attached within), include a legible copy of the applicant's valid driver's license or other valid picture identification along with a cashier's check or money order payable to FORT BEND COUNTY CLERK. Please provide a legible return address and daytime telephone number.