Laura Richard was sworn into office as the Fort Bend County Clerk January 1, 2015. Prior to being County Clerk she spent a long career working for a technology company managing multi-million dollar budgets and staff located in multiple countries around the world. After "retiring" from the technology sector, she spent a number of years in various development and executive director positions for Fort Bend non-profit organizations. On the death of her husband, Jim Richard, she was unanimously appointed by Commissioners Court to fill his vacancy of Justice of the Peace, Precinct 4. Laura and her family have made Fort Bend County their home for more than 30 years.
The Honorable Laura Richard is a board member for the Parks Youth Ranch, the membership director for the Urban Recorders Alliance, the chair of the Fort Bend Bail Bond Board, an active member of the legislative committee for the County & District Clerks Association, the Property Records Industry Association (PRIA), and the Fort Bend Buyers Group.
While in office, Laura has focused on enhancing efficiency, accuracy, and providing expanded services to the public for all life's important filings.
FORT BEND COUNTY CLERK'S MISSION STATEMENT
To provide excellent customer service through skilled personnel and leading edge technology to the citizens of Fort Bend County, the judges, attorneys and related agencies while being vigilant and efficient with tax payer dollars.
COUNTY CLERK DUTIES
- Serves as clerk and custodian of records for the Commissioners Court, Constitutional County Court, and Statutory County Courts.
- Acts as a recorder, local registrar, and custodian of important public records, including all bonds, deeds, birth and death certificates, assumed names (DBA), and livestock brands, ensuring that records are maintained in a secure, archival manner.
- Issues marriage licenses.
For more specific information such as budget and yearly goals related to the Fort Bend County Clerk, please see page 98 of the ANNUAL OPERATING BUDGET FOR FISCAL YEAR 2021 FORT BEND COUNTY.
2022 County Clerk State of the County presentation available.
The Fort Bend County Clerk’s Office received the 2021 Five Star Exemplary Award from the Texas Department of State Health Services Vital Statistics Section. The award is given in recognition for excellence in vital records registration and customer service.
COUNTY CLERK ADVANCEMENTS
Enhanced Customer Service
- Opened new Sienna Annex for east Fort Bend
- Extended annex office hours
- Implemented new user-friendly records search function
- Digitized over two million pages of probate and civil files
- Updated easy-to-read online fee schedules
- Enabled E-commerce for Official Public Records
- VitalChek online services for the safety of customers
- Introduced the Property Fraud Alert program
- Established electronic workflow between clerk and court
- Optimized hundreds of internal processes
- Developed new training program for new hires
- Increased e-recording to save time
- Reorganized staff for increased efficiency
- Technology implemented to support remote hearings
- Instituted criminal e-Filing prior to mandate
- Trained attorneys and District Attorney's Office on new processes
- Implemented electronic signatures
- Supported the addition of two new courts
County Clerk Statistics