Informal Marriage License Requirements:
- Complete a Marriage License Application;
- Both parties must appear together at one of the County Clerk Office locations;
- For MINORS, both parties must be 18 years or older; effective September 1, 2017, Texas Family code 2.003 states, A person under 18 years of age may not marry unless the person has been granted by this state or another state a court order removing the disabilities of minority of the person for general purposes;
- Provide proof of identity and age (see list in English & Spanish);
- Provide social security number, if you have one;
- If DIVORCED, there is a 30 day waiting period after the divorce is final before remarriage, unless waived or divorced from each other. If the 30 day waiting period is waived, a certified copy of the divorce decree must be presented at the time the license is purchased;
- Not presently married to someone other than the other applicant;
- Not related to the other applicant;
- Couple must choose a date to declare as their marriage date, taking into consideration that both applicants would be 18 years or older on the agreed date.
- Informal Marriage License $37.00;
- A polysleeve to protect the document can be purchased for $2.00.
Once the Declaration and Registration of Informal Marriage (Common Law) certificate is completed, signed, and recorded, certified copies will be available for purchase.