Laura Richard, Fort Bend County Clerk was first sworn into office January 1, 2015. Prior to being County Clerk she spent a long career working for a technology company managing multi-million dollar budgets and staff located in multiple countries around the world. After "retiring" from the technology sector, she spent a number of years in various development and executive director positions for Fort Bend non-profit organizations. On the death of her husband, Jim Richard, she was unanimously appointed by Commissioners Court to fill his vacancy of Justice of the Peace, Pct. 4. Laura and her family have made Fort Bend County their home for more than 30 years.
COUNTY CLERK DUTIES
- Serves as clerk and custodian of records for the Commissioners Court, Constitutional County Court, and Statutory County Courts.
- Acts as a recorder, local registrar, and custodian of important public records, including all bonds, deeds, birth and death certificates, assumed names (DBA), and livestock brands, ensuring that records are maintained in a secure, archival manner.
- Issues marriage licenses.
For more specific information such as budget and yearly goals related to the Fort Bend County Clerk, please see page 98 of the ANNUAL OPERATING BUDGET FOR FISCAL YEAR 2018 FORT BEND COUNTY.
COUNTY CLERK ADVANCEMENTS
Enhanced Customer Service
- Opened new Sienna Annex for east Fort Bend
- Extended annex office hours
- Implemented new user-friendly records search function
- Redesigned website
- Digitized over 2 million pages of probate and civil files
- Updated easy-to-read online fee schedules
- Enabled E-commerce for Official Public Records
- Established electronic workflow between clerk and court
- Optimized 100s of internal processes
- Developed new training program for new hires
- Increased e-recording to save time
- Reorganized staff
- Instituted criminal e-Filing prior to mandate
- Trained attorneys and District Attorney's Office on new processes
- Implemented electronic signatures
- Supported the addition of two (2) new courts
County Clerk Statistics