How do I report?

  • To report a communicable disease, you may contact the Epidemiology Unit by phone at (832) 471-1817. For urgent matters on evenings, weekends or holidays, dial (832) 612-7761 and ask for the Epidemiology Unit duty officer. 

What is reportable?

Who is required to report?

  • Physicians, surgeons, veterinarians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, nurses, nurse midwives, infection control practitioners, medical examiners, dentists, laboratorians and administrators of health facilities/ correctional facilities and clinics knowing of a case or suspected case of a communicable disease.
  • Anyone in charge of a public or private school, kindergarten, boarding school, or preschool

What happens if I fail to report?

Failure to report could result in a civil penalty. ( § HEALTH AND SAFETY CODE , TITLE 2. Health, SUBTITLE D, CHAPTER 81, SUBCHAPTER E, Sec 81.0815)